It is a universally acknowledged reality, that in case you had been ever an amazing internet service and had something to do with Yahoo, it was secretly your undoing. Pour one for Del.icio.us, Yahoo Pipes, (presumably) Tumblr, and now Flickr. To be honest, Yahoo offered Flickr some time in the past, however not earlier than doing their proprietary factor to make issues worse. (Particulars are right here: The present free plan is being drastically diminished, and images for non-paying customers with greater than 1000 pictures will begin to be eliminated within the new yr.) With this transfer, one of many predominant sources of Inventive Commons-licensed pictures will likely be a lot much less helpful. We, nicely, okay, I believe Lee, we’ll put out a submit about doable alternate options quickly, nevertheless it’s a tragic day.
That mentioned, in case you reside within the US, you will most likely get an additional hour of sleep this weekend, so at the very least you’ve gotten that going for you. It is most likely good to be nicely rested earlier than Tuesday.
- Robin DeRosa explains why the library is open: However the price of offering schooling and sustaining establishments isn’t zero, so clearly after we say “free” we imply free entry and never free supply. Folks confuse this level on a regular basis with open instructional assets, that are free to college students however require important tutorial work to generate, combine with the curriculum, host, replace, and so on. it’s not a easy idea. My library card on the Harmony Free Public Library was free. However I additionally obtained a wage there, and with out even figuring out it, I used to be experiencing conceptual friction that may later turn into the main target of the questions I need to discover in my protection.
- Dan Cohen studies what we realized from learning the information consumption habits of faculty college students: College students have an interest within the information and need to know what is going on on, however given the sheer scale and sources of the information, they discover themselves considerably paralyzed. As people do naturally in such conditions, college students are sometimes happy when it comes to information sources, accepting “ok” and forthcoming descriptions (from buddies or the media) slightly than looking for a number of views or going to information sources.” canonical”, equivalent to newspapers. Plus, a lot of what they devour is extra visible than textual: Web genres like memes, gifs, and brief movies play a giant function of their digestion of the day’s occasions.
- Derek Bruff discusses collaborative dialogue maps: This permits D’Onofrio to not solely share the collected solutions together with his college students throughout class, but in addition to have the scholars do extra work with the solutions throughout the lab. She prints about 50 of the “most fascinating and numerous” scholar responses within the class on index playing cards, then directs her tech assistants to have college students work within the lab to create a dialogue map with the index playing cards. index. College students place the playing cards on a board or place them on a desk, making an attempt to rearrange them in some construction that displays the type of the controversy on artwork theft. College students can group related arguments or visually juxtapose arguments and counter-arguments or create unfavourable area that exhibits a significant flaw within the artwork theft debate. The TAs have some clean index playing cards available for college kids so as to add arguments to the map. […]
- Kathleen Fitzpatrick (who will converse at Trinity on Monday! So excited!!) on Focus: I care deeply about what has occurred and what’s going to occur, however I need to decelerate sufficient to maintain what occurs. it is taking place to only fly by. To maintain the current from being one thing that I really feel like I’ve to hurry to maintain up and as a substitute increase the second so I can embody one thing like thought once more.
- I most likely did not point out right here that my son is now attending an internet highschool, which is ok, besides that it required me to put in Java *and* Flash, which . . . nicely, it is definitely instructional! Anyway, through Audrey Watters, here is the Instances on distance studying. The article is fairly fascinating, however I believe there is a good probability that is the funniest sentence I’ve ever examine edtech: Right now, such well-liked on-line platforms as Blackboard or Moodle enable a lot better speech.
This week’s video highlights a (trivial, however enjoyable) new Mac function you did not know existed:
Have an amazing weekend! I am excited to see a model of this play tomorrow.
Photograph from Pixabay, licensed CC0.